• View topic - 1st BAJA built on a budget
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:08 pm 
Big Mudder
Big Mudder

Hello all (now in the right section)

Im jim im from north yorkshire and im building my first baja im starting with this

Ive got a bug eye kit ,twin tube front bumper and rear cage and a grinder :D

Dubbed project can 'o' worms

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:09 pm 
Big Mudder
Big Mudder

I use my beetle all year round this is probs why its needing all this work (well and the usual previous owner repairs and neglect)

All the work im doing on nights and satdays at work ,i work for a restoration place called rusty bug workshops we specalise in triumphs mainly but get alsorts of classics in , anyways hears the split of body and pan its had a resto in the 90s so you can gess the work im finding pans part welded to the channels

Frame head was beyond repair so made a bit of a jig (my first framehead so dont shoot me ) cut out the pans and had the spine blasted in house

New bits best i could aford but still crap . wish id got a good body cut but hayho

Old one off and test fitting new

gusseted shocktowers and seam welded (chassies had the same seam welding ) and lost of repairs

Spine underside repaired with some thick plate steel and new floorpans only cheepys but its on a budget framehead on and napolians hat repair

pedals mocked up and a heavy pedal suport plate welded in (bit belt and brace but dont trust the thin pans)

Some of the body troubles im findeing filler and grot /rot :D grinders gona get some more work

Jim

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:28 pm 
Big Mudder
Big Mudder

Gear box mid strap made just needs padding with rubber strip

pan reblasted etch primed and seam sealed hung ready for paint

pan all painted in gloss 2k black

starting to go back togeather

baja kit theres some 2inch oversize standard rear wings im goin to use and cut my own , fromt bumpas gona have the light pods trimmed off

Wheels are 6 and 7 j but 14inch looks like tyres are going to be an issue but i have got some wider standard wheels so got some options

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:37 pm 
Big Mudder
Big Mudder

Did some work last bank holiday on the shell, doors came off well(suprised me) rear window apiture needs a bit of work and the fire wall so il be adding that to the list .

already needs heater channels,door piller bottoms , front bulk head lower repair, wheel arch repairs ,gutter repairs near the engine vents ,so got a bit to do .

Jimbo ,

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:45 pm 
Big Mudder
Big Mudder

Ive been doing the work on the beetle after work odd days for an hour hear and there and every saterday , haveing a young family means tight budget (time and money) my aim is to have it back on the road for christmas :shock: but well see .

Jim

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:25 pm 
Little Mudder
Little Mudder

Doing a great job, a good build thread too ! 8-)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:32 pm 

Looks very good! Like seein these :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:46 pm 
Baja Pro
Baja Pro

You've made a lot of progress already! 8-)

Find this forum useful? How about making a PayPal donation towards the running costs - donations@bajaclub.co.uk Thanks - every little bit helps.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:19 pm 
Big Mudder
Big Mudder

Thanks for the replys , the cars been off the road since summer last year i started striping the car then it stalled when we got buisy at work :lol: and its never droped off , i took quite a wile geting the frame head on and square ,then it started to fall in place. ive broken the back of the chassie work just rebuilding now .

.ive got a second gearbox and engine to build when the cars back on the road . and ive already cleared it with the wife that the engine case is going through the dishwasher for a propper deep clean :D its a 1500 single port case with 1600 barrels,pistons and twin port heads .it did shift on in the bug before so with a rebuild ballance and better oiling should move project can 'o' worms on well

Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:15 am 
Tough Mudder
Tough Mudder

looking good

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next