• View topic - Bajabarn rebuild part II
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bajabarn rebuild part II
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:42 pm 
Little Mudder
Little Mudder

As one of my mates is fond of saying - there's always a part two. It has been six months since I last worked on the bug, wasn't the plan, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.
Santa delivered a shiny tool cabinet, so on boxing day, I cleared all the tools off the floor under the bug and got ready to begin. Yep, it started raining, today it snowed, tomorrow back to work :lol:
Back in June started skinning the doors, today got the rear wings on. That's not progress though, as I plan to flare them :D
Hope all had a good Christmas and Happy new year!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:30 pm 
Little Mudder
Little Mudder

Part II has not got off to the greatest of starts, with the great British weather, progress has been slow. I've also been told my awesome rear wings are not legal, errrh? Apparently any new changes need to comply with modern IVA rules. Did a bit of research and they might be right. Anybody know anything about the rules?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:57 pm 
Little Mudder
Little Mudder

When I fitted my empi rear disc kit (99 vintage) in the summer, I realised something wasn't right. Reading up on the samba, it looks like I need to machine down the bearing housing. Given it doesn't get great reviews, not too keen on this.

Plan B - it's a bit of an old school build, so how about type 3 drums? Type 3 rear backing plates are not easy to find, super beetle fronts are, how hard can it be to convert :lol:

The two lower holes of the 4 bolt plates line up. The top two need drilling and the centre needs enlarging. Oh, handbrake cables. Bought some cheap backing plates to salvage. First mistake, IRS plates not swing axle, no recess for the shock mount, d'oh. Oh well, carry on!

Centre of bug plate laid over top of super plate

Might be internet myth, apple cider vinegar highly recommended for rust removal, guess we'll find out on Sunday :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:10 am 
Baja Pro
Baja Pro

bajabarn wrote:
Part II has not got off to the greatest of starts, with the great British weather, progress has been slow. I've also been told my awesome rear wings are not legal, errrh? Apparently any new changes need to comply with modern IVA rules. Did a bit of research and they might be right. Anybody know anything about the rules?

It's not a new build, so IVA shouldn't apply. Also, car builders struggle to know when IVA does and doesn't apply so how is the police meant to know. As long as it doesn't look dangerous I'd say you're fine.

Find this forum useful? How about making a PayPal donation towards the running costs - donations@bajaclub.co.uk Thanks - every little bit helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:32 pm 
Little Mudder
Little Mudder

Thank you FireDancer, that sounds like common sense.

Checked the plates after 18 hours, not much progress. Dropped the bucket, everything got coated in apple cider vinegar. I was already late for work, closed the garage doors and left it for later. The smell followed me around all day :lol:

36 hours later, it is working. Washed the plates off with water and hit them with the heat gun. This seemed like a good idea because it was cold outside. Fairly certain I have flash rusted them doing that. Clearly missing the last stage of the process, back in the bucket for now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 pm 
Little Mudder
Little Mudder

Bit of searching, 5 days is the magic number, check every 48 hours, oh, and wash in baking soda / water mix or diesel for fuel tanks. This didn't matter, as I forgot to put them back in the bucket after photos. Really didn't matter after I forgot to buy baking soda as well.
Hoping to weld them tomorrow, so sand blasted them this morning. Reckoned I could get it done before before work. Didn't reckon on the kiln dried sand being damp, dang. 5 mins in the microwave was all the take a way containers could handle, but got it done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:18 am 
Little Mudder
Little Mudder

I use a 2% Caustic soda solution and an old laptop charger and a sacificial steel plate it does the job in an hour to 2. Don't do it in the house like i did the fumes are a little harsh on you throat, might want to wear gloves as well. You can also use washing soda it's allot safer but slower. Only use on steel but removes paint and everthing else makes things very easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:12 pm 
Little Mudder
Little Mudder

Cheers general 2, will give that a go.
The welding stank of cider vinegar and wasn't happy. I'll use it on the fuel tank, as it seems to work, but that will probably be all.
Having tortured the back plates for the last couple of weeks, one of them is not looking too good. I wouldn't be worried with stock tyres, the 31s are fair bit bigger though.
Drilled out the spot welds, did some crayon aided design, new laser cut 5mm thick centres on their way.
I'll cut the back plates to match and weld them up. Annoying because one is good and the conversion is fairly straight forward, don't want any issues in the future though.
Why am I doing this? Not sure if I'm honest. I decided to do this last summer and seemed a good idea at the time. The only reason I can think of, is that I can use the larger cylinders. The master cylinder is beyond rebuild and needs to be replaced, with a super beetle one :lol: